For best results, use an antivirus and a web filter. The antivirus protects by catching viruses as you use your computer. The other protection is with a web filter on your internet browser to keep you away from bad sites. If you get a virus, run scans and remove viruses as needed. But, if all fails, bring your laptop to ETC.
Protection 1: Activate Antivirus on Windows 10
- Activate Windows Defender on Windows 10: Click Start - Settings - Update and Security - Windows Defender - Real-time Protection. And Schedule Scan Windows Defender: Search - Task Scheduler - Task Scheduler Library - Microsoft - Windows - Windows Defender - Select Properties on the right - Triggers - New - Daily - Set time to start - OK.
- Or install Bitdefender free, registration is required.
Protection 2: Web Filter
- OpenDNS HOME: Uses the OpenDNS name servers to filter bad sites. It also has Family Shield.
- uBlock Origin: Blocks malware and tracking; and mainly blocks ads when browsing the internet.
- HTTPS Anywhere it forces to send the information encrypted when the https option is available at the remote site.
- MCAfee SECURE Safe Browsing let's you know which sites are safe, and which ones to avoid.
Remove Viruses for Windows
- Run scans using your antivirus software such as Windows Defender. Scans will take a while and remove viruses as needed. Repeat the process until no more viruses are found.
- Also run the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal tool that you can start from your desktop by starting Run from the start button and typing mrt.
- Download and run to remove adwareMalwarebytes Adwcleaner.
- Download and run scans using Malwarebytes.
- Finally, download and run scans using Microsoft Safety Scanner.
- Optionally, clean Powerful Malware Removal HitmanPro.
- Optionally, clean your computer with CCleaner.
- Contact ETC if you need assistance.